Rooster maturity?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by o-townchicken, Oct 11, 2011.

1. o-townchicken

o-townchicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    Ok, so, we have 13 chickens. We know for sure that one of our wyandottes is a male(it has a regular comb-not the strawberry kind) So, we think that one of our ri reds might be a rooster as well. no crowing and no cycle feathers yet. They are already 7 months old. Should we be able to tell by now? and, no one is crowing? I thought that would be happening by now. Any ideas??

2. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Start of crowing is very individual. I had a little (black australorp) cockerel that was crowing loudly by 10 weeks old. Right now, I've got a almost 17 week old cockerel (orpington) hasn't crowed yet. If you have other roosters around, they can learn to crow earlier. But, really, it's very individual.

Besides comb development, I usually can tell my males by their thicker legs/shanks/feet, more colorful feathers, their height, broad shoulders, pointy hackle feathers and back feathers, and draping saddle feathers. HTH.

3. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    hello

i have a wyandotte at 9 weeks just started to crow yesterday for the first time .

hope this helps [​IMG]

4. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    My Brahma cockerel is 20 weeks and he hasn't crowed yet! They can take their time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by