Rooster midwife?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TeamChaos, Jul 27, 2010.

1. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Songster

Nov 8, 2009
    Posting in the other rooster thread reminded me that I want to ask here- when my ladies are in the nest box, my rooster (Deputy 40) paces the floor and hands them things- feathers, straw, pine chips, whatever- sometimes the ladies chase him out and seem annoyed, other times they ignore him. What is he doing? I've even seen him sit in the nest box next to her and "talk" over the wall to her.. crazy dude.

2. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Songster

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    This reminds me......I've noticed that sometimes when a girl doesn't want the advances of the roo another of the hens will help him hold her down. I've seen more than one hen help him at a time. I'm thinkin [​IMG] what's goin on here?

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, the roosters are part of the whole process. Some will get into the nest box and trill, turn around, sit there, move the bedding around, just to show the pullets it's a NICE nest box and she/they should use 'em.

Not all of 'em are as solicitous as yours, though - wanting to help out with the laying part. Mine will sing the Egg Song with the girls, but he doesn't hang out in the coop with 'em for long. He DOES do the "This is a nice nest box" thing, though, as the pullets get closer to laying. (I have several different ages of pullets.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: