Rooster missing claws :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Margaret1448, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Margaret1448

Margaret1448 New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    San Fernando Valley, L.A.
    Hello Folks, the injured rooster I recently acquired has poor little feet with claws either very worn down or missing. (He was found wandering in city streets). He's recovering from other injuries, but I'm wondering whether there might be something I can do for his feet (no bleeding, thankfully!).
    Thanks so much!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi Margaret, and welcome to BYC.

Do the injuries to his feet look fresh - are they red or inflamed in appearance? If not, they may have already healed, and if so the nails will probably not grow back. Fortunately that is not a big deal for a bird that does not have to scratch for food.

Can you take a clear picture of his feet?

3. Margaret1448

Margaret1448 New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    Thanks so much for replying! :)

Fortunately, his feet do look as if they are already heeled; he was exhausted and starving when he came, but he's much sturdier now. His neck feathers are starting to grow back, and his comb, as well.

You've helped very much by reassuring me that there's nothing more I can do to help him with them, poor guy! He doesn't seem to be in pain and, as you say, he certainly won't have to forage - I give them everything from grapes to meal worms. :D

Thank you again, 1muttsfan - and I'm a fan, too! :)

4. Margaret1448

Margaret1448 New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    Also, I taught English and can't bear you thinking I know it's spelled "healed..." :D

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    :D no worries about spelling! Glad to hear he is doing so well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by