rooster mounting pullets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Suess hens, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    Does this mean that I will have eggs soon?
    I have seen him in the past kind of try, but today while I was in the garden with them he was doing his deed; and the girls were not happy about it.

2. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

You could have eggs soon, but a rooster mounting a pullet will have nothing to do with that. Hens (or Pullets) don't need a rooster to lay eggs.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When the girls stop complaining and start squatting with just a look from the rooster, that's when you can really start looking forward to the eggs.

4. Suess hens

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I know I don't need the rooster...but I have been waiting 23 weeks now for eggs...I want eggs, was hoping this was a sign.
    For my non-crowing 18 week old rooster, I was happy, showed he really was a boy. [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Mr. Frizzles Hen House Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    Mine started laying at 23 weeks. My rooster starting doing the same thing only a week, two at the most before hand. Not sure if it was a sign, but they sure did seem to go have something to do with each other:)

6. Suess hens

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I just keep looking for any sign. I have seen squating, color changes, one talks a lot, then I heard some song out of one of them yesterday (with nothing in the nest). Then I saw my rooster, in what seemed totally random, mount (for better lack of words) my poor Nelly (she was the one that I didn't think would make it as a baby). Someone has been doing some nest time. Two of my nests have had someone sitting in them, even made nice indentations and looks like nests.
    Well, I will go out to the coop again tonight, not hoping for anything more than a golf ball, but will see what I find.
    Thanks Mr. Frizzle, I will try to tell myself one more week to help keep my hopes down a bit longer (you know so I won't get frustrated when nothing is there)

7. RobotChicken

RobotChicken Chicken TV Addict

Oct 16, 2008
    Colorado Baby!
    Quote:Don't be dissapointed then when you come home and find the golf balls missing!!!!!!!

8. Suess hens

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    Quote:Don't be dissapointed then when you come home and find the golf balls missing!!!!!!!

Missing? Will they eat them?
    I know I have found them kicked out before. The first time I put them back, since then I have removed them from that box. I thought maybe they discovered my trick and were shunning the balls.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Sure signs of getting ready to lay are combs and wattles getting red and the girls start squatting.

10. RobotChicken

RobotChicken Chicken TV Addict

Oct 16, 2008
    Colorado Baby!

Missing? Will they eat them?
    I know I have found them kicked out before. The first time I put them back, since then I have removed them from that box. I thought maybe they discovered my trick and were shunning the balls.

No I meant would it be rather disappointing to come home only expecting golf balls, to not even find the golf balls.

Ok, maybe that would be more confusing than disappointing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by