1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster mounting related to egg laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Breezy_Living, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Breezy_Living

Breezy_Living Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Northern California
    I searched all over for this topic and couldn't find anything here or on Google, so forgive me if I am being repetitive!

Our (approx.) 17-18 week old rooster mounted one of the hens of the same age today, something he's never done before. I witnessed it out our kitchen window and I wondered if this is a sign of an egg coming really soon. Also, she (out of all 3 hens) has been looker a little "wider" than the others -- possible pelvic spreading?

Their combs aren't as bright as the rooster's but I thought perhaps there might be a correlation between his mounting. Not long after this happened I went out to feed/water them and put a fake egg looking thing (those little kitchen timers than are supposed to look like an egg!) Just in case those signs pointed towards an egg soon!

Anyone able to shed some light of this subject? [​IMG]

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I have no scientific evidence for this, but my rooster ignores the pullets until they are ready to lay. I assume that once he starts noticing the girls that they will start laying fairly soon.

3. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Usually, the pullet won't squat for him until she's ready to start laying. I'd keep an eye out. She should start laying soon!

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    IMO it signals both are begining to mature and the cycle should beging soon.

5. Breezy_Living

Breezy_Living Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Northern California
    Thanks for the info! We were going to borrow some golf balls from my FOL but I immediately grabbed the egg timer and hid the "feet" in the straw. Just looks like a big heavy egg! The "mating couple" stood over it for about 5 minutes just staring at it and then joined the other 2 hens in eating. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by