rooster mounts, but doesn't mate

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by City Chicken, Jan 22, 2013.

1. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    our young rooster is about 7 mo old... he grabs, mounts, the hen stoops and then he HOPS OFF!!!!
    what the heck!?

eggs are NOT fertile. I'm annoyed!!!

Is this normal? Will he get better, or learn?? Or is he a dud??

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What breed is he?

I'd wonder how you're determining fertility?

At that age he should have figured things out, but if he's a slow maturing bird he may just need time.

3. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    he's a light sussex, which i think are slower to mature...?
    well, i both look at the yolk and have tried to incubate some... no growth after 5 days!

4. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    oh and when i say he hops off- he doesn't 'connect' at all, just gets on top, then gets down. no rear ends touch.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's weird, I'd think he would have figured it out by now! I'd just say wait until spring, if things aren't working better by March I'd look at getting a new roo if you're wanting chicks.

6. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    yeah, me too! thing is- i hatched this guy myself and we like him, and he's a great not overly aggressive rooster (we had one that bit us all the time!!). so i'm really hoping he kicks into gear and gets his act together!

7. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Are the hens being cooperative? We have one hen who seems to be harder to maintain balance on as she is slender and we have a brahma roo who is wide. However we still get fertile eggs it just takes a few tries sometimes.

8. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    yeah- i thought that was part of the problem, but i have watched him mount again and again and then hop off- perhaps he doesn't feel steady once he gets up there? i would say they are in the slim side, except for 2 RIR- who are mean and probably won't let him! maybe the hens just need to mature as well and get some more weight on them. they are the same age- sisters and half sister- and his mother who is a full grown white rock, but they max out at around 5.5 lbs, so she's not really big either.

9. City Chicken

Aug 25, 2012
    well, he may not be a pro, but it appears that he's gotten it down here and there...
    i candled an egg after 5 days and saw nothing. last time i was able to see veins, heart etc and this time i didn't see anything at ALL. i cracked it open and was sorry to see a network of veins. perhaps her egg thickness changed, but she's fertile. yesterday i saw him actually successfully mate- so maybe he's working it out.
    am setting aside eggs for incubation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by