Rooster mouth opening and closing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by happymorrows, Dec 3, 2010.

1. happymorrows

happymorrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    What does it mean when my rooster opens and closes his mouth all the time. His crow is a little weak/muted as well.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Is he yawning?

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Check inside his mouth for gapeworms.

4. happymorrows

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    He is not yawning. The guy at my feedstore said gapeworms, but I also read somewhere that they were rare and it is often a resp. issue (gasping to breath). I am treating for worms just in case. how long do i have to throw out the eggs after treatment?

5. happymorrows

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    The feed store gave me something called Prohibit to treat gapeworm. It goes in their water. The whole packet (52g) dissolved in 1 qt, then 1tsp from that qt in a gallon x 2days.

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    What is his age, what is his diet, is his poop normal, is he active, does he eat and drink well, ...... and any other info that can help folsk help you and he.
    JJ

7. happymorrows

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    He is one year old.
    His poop looks normal.
    He eats and drinks normally.
    His diet it free range in a very large run and chicken feed (plus scratch and BOSS).
    He is active, runs around the yard just fine, not lethargic. Just does the gaping thing.

I contacted NC State's Poultry Science department and their vet told me it is probably viral and the chickens will have to get better on their own. (I have a hen with bubbly eye/nose and diarrhea). Any advice is welcome.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Sorry I am not familiar with the treatment for gapeworm. For other wormers most people toss the eggs for 2 weeks, though, I think. You could do a search for your medication on this board.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by