Rooster n hen fighting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by safiya21, Aug 29, 2014.

1. safiya21

safiya21 New Egg

Aug 29, 2014
    Hi i jus recently brought 1 rooster which is 3 months old n a baby hen

I first brought the rooster and after three days I brought the baby hen

Only my rooster won't leave my hen alone I tried putting her in the coop last night only he pecked at her so I had to keep him inside n put her in the coop alone

And all day today he has pecked at her and his acting like his the victim n won't come out the coop (when he hates going in there )

I dnt know wat to do I'm a new learner in this trade it's really upsetting me

2. LaceyLu96

LaceyLu96 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2014
    Is the hen a little chick?
    Usually we keep the chicks, and teen/more mature chickens separated at least until the chicks are big enough to defend themselves, as there is a hierarchy with most flocks, and the older ones usually end up bullying the younger ones until they get full grown.
    Hope this helps

3. safiya21

safiya21 New Egg

Aug 29, 2014
    There both young I think the hens about 2months old she looks younger than the rooster

I only have one coop
    Wat can I do to help prevent the from fighting

4. LaceyLu96

LaceyLu96 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2014
    How big is the coop? sometimes when chickens are cooped up in too small spaces the get aggressive about space.
    Usually if they're more mature chickens they'll probably work it out, or if the rooster is jumping on her back, he might be trying to mate but I'm not sure if he is old enough to be mature yet.
    Usually the hen will give in to the rooster sooner or later, hens and roosters rarely fight and usually not for long.
    I'm sorry I do not have any other advice.

5. safiya21

safiya21 New Egg

Aug 29, 2014
    My coops big enough for the two defiantly

Dnt think there mating either

My hens backed off the poor soul hides in the corner she got drenched in the rain as she was so scared

Thanku for ur help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by