rooster neck bent wierd and look inflamted

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Grog Cucco, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Grog Cucco

Grog Cucco New Egg

Jul 23, 2010
    ok so i went two check on my roo few mn ago and his neck wus all wierd and bent and it look like its iflmated and not like its broken but just not strech out but bent two the side i am not sure if he got stung by a bee or sumting but it look realy bad any tips or an yone know what it mite be D; harry pls

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Need more info - for example: age, what are you feeding, any other symptoms (like diarrhea, loss of appetite, sneezing, goopy eyes, etc.), any other birds sick? The more you can tell us about your roo, the more likely you'll get some answers to help.

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Can you put up a picture?

4. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Yeah, maybe an injury or some kind of bite?

5. Grog Cucco

Grog Cucco New Egg

Jul 23, 2010
    ok here the pics his neck like twisted his 3 years old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ok that how it looks [​IMG]
    here a pic of him be for he had that weierd twist
    [​IMG]
    i hope you can help D: he looking realy bad
    i have him in my room write now two see how it dus over nite in a realy big cage
    my elvis D:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  6. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    I'm sorry I don't know what to think. Is he eating and drinking? You might try feeding him bits of something he really likes. I was going to suggest a touch of ground up aspirin in a treat unless that could be a bleed in his neck. If he's broken a blood vessel or something aspirin won't be good idea. What does the swelling feel like, is it soft and squishy or firm?

7. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

As I'm sure you know, there are a number of diseases that will produce this twisted neck symptom, called "tortocollis" - Marek's, Avian Influenza, Newcastle, encephalomyelitis, mycoplasma, to name a few. There are two possibilities that are related to feed - either spoiled feed or nutritional deficiency. With all these possibilities (some of which cannot be diagnosed positively until after death) it is virtually impossible to say what is causing this wry neck in your Elvis. If he were my bird, I would keep him separated where I could observe him more closely for any other symptoms that might give a clue to what's going on. I would also have a sample of my feed tested to see if it's spoiled or nutritionally deficient. I would purchase a fresh bag of nutritionally enriched commercial feed and add a good multivitamin to his water (or 3 drops of Polyvisol infant vitamins WITHOUT IRON directly in his mouth 2x per day). Cooked eggs and yogurt are also good and Elvis would probably consider those a "treat." I'd wait and watch, keeping Elvis isolated like this for at least 5 days. If he's not showing any other symptoms and his twisted neck isn't worse, I'd turn him loose. If his problems are caused by diseases like those mentioned above, there's probably nothing you can do to make Elvis better. If, on the other hand, you notice additional symptoms, post on this forum again. Good luck with Elvis.

8. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    If he's not a new rooster and you haven't introduced any new chickens recently, I might go along with the spider or bee sting theory. If it were me, I might try a small fraction of an antihistimine (you'll need to figure the fraction by body weight and then to be on the conservative side, reduce a touch further) if he doesn't seem to be improving. I suppose if you suspect injury, you could try 15 minutes with an ice pack.

9. Grog Cucco

Grog Cucco New Egg

Jul 23, 2010
    ok i i been checking on him and i found sumting new in his stool cud a plant make all this happen ? i found trace of plants but i n ever feed them any sort of stuff like that he mite have eat it wen he wus free roaming in my yard if a plant cud do this i mite have two check my yard for poisones plants ?
    oh i checked his neck its feels realy hard like stiff like he cant move it from that posture that it is seem only way i can get him two drink water if iput the plate near hsi beak and he start drinking from it little sips but he drinks

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  10. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    The fact the stool had visible plant matter makes me wonder about the plant because it passed undigested. You don't have some posion oak or ivy or something similar in your area? Only thing is, if it was a plant irritation, you'd think he'd have trouble breathing which makes me think of some type of bite, even a snake. Any poisonous snakes in your area? Is there any wound or sore or bullseye? I suppose he could have swallowed a bee but then again, you'd think he'd have trouble breathing. I'm thinking snake?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by