Rooster-Neck Biting

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by baileychic, Jun 26, 2010.

1. baileychic

baileychic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Delavan, WI
    My chickens are 10 weeks old and today I notice that the Rooster has begun biting the back of the hens neck. The hen seems unfazed by this, but does give a squawk! Is this normal behavior (mating ritual) or just being mean? Is it time to seperate the bad boys?

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

It can be both. I have a good boy who is such a love with human beings, very kind and knows to keep his distance from people at times. But he favors certain hens and dislikes others. He'll try to bite the necks of his mates when attempting to do the deed, but if they cry out, he lets go and trys to make nice-nice. With others, he will grab them by the neck just to dominate them. If you keep watching, you should eventually know the difference based on how he acts with the hens in question, and how they act with him. If he's just trying to mate them, then they will soon understand that and will become more used to it.

10 weeks is awefully young to start mating, IMO. But it can happen. If this really is mating stuff, he's just practicing. And if not, give him some time. I'm sure he's trying to remind the hens who's boss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by