1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster neck injury w/Pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CabraVerde, Aug 3, 2014.

1. CabraVerde

CabraVerde Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2014
    Hello all.
    Not looking for criticism. I've read many threads now about keeping dogs, especially puppies with free range fowl. I understand that it is my job to adequately train my canine to behave well and obey only my commands when he goes for "prey". He is a 6 month Akita Inu. We adopted him from another family at 4 months old. No idea of his history though he shows signs of abuse. I was trying to teach him gently but I know now that firm/assertive does not equal aggression to a large predator or "pack mammal". That all said...

One month before we brought the dog home, we acquired two 1 month old pullets (to replace 2 roos). They looked like twins so I called them MaryKate and Ashley. My partner said no pop culture references, so they became Uno and Dos. Both were sweet as can be. I free range my roo and 2 other hens. After two weeks socializing the birds through barriers, I let them all free range together. This is when Haku (our puppy) got to be around them in the open and there wasn't any immediate aggression. Everything was fine for the first 4 or 5 days until...
    I came home from a BBQ next door and Haku was acting strange and then I noticed, no chicks to be seen. I called and called, because they come to me, but no chicks running around. I saw feathers, but quickly assumed it must have been a bird of prey because Haku was so good with the others and the hens and roo were all fine. I finally spotted Uno under my zucchini plants. She was frightended but unharmed. Evening rolled around and I found out what happened to Dos. Haku puked up her body. It was horrible. I buried her and plants a succulent over her body. I put Haku in the dark garage after the he saw what he threw up and I scolded him verbally, but not sure he related the two.

About 3 weeks later, I left for the day with my partner and we came home to find Haku thrilled. Like really excited. He ran into the yard and I couldn't see what he had next to him at first. Then I realized...it was Uno. I thought she was dead but then she opened an eye and looked at me, like she was saying "I trusted you with my life and your dog tortured me..." I know I'm really beating myself up but I should have known better after the first one. Uno was a special sweety, who loved to sit on my shoulder while I washed dishes...My heart wreches when I remember how she looked that night. We couldn't save her and we buried her under the winter garden plot, which I will grow lovely food over in remembrance. ( Would have fed her to Haku, but she was so small and mangled, I couldn't skin her and prep her). Plus, I thought of it as a reward and that pup only deserves and strong pack leader, which I am trying to be...

Yesterday I was away at a new job for about 3 hours. It was a rainy day, but warm (in north San Diego). The birds and puppy have been fine together and I do have the rooster to protect the girls. But no one to protect him...
    I came home to find Haku had almost killed Jay Jay our roo. He was hiding on a shelf outside, dripping blood. I've never cared for a massive wound before. My partner is a nurse but he was not home at the time. First I separated Haku and showed him the blood. He didn't lick at it, only looked away. I told him NO! and BAD! which he seemed to accept as a punishment but again, I'm not sure how much he equates to his actions against the bird.
    I washed Jay Jay and trimmed his feathers. My dad told me to spray Hydrogen Peroxide on the wound to prevent infection. I did, reluctantly, as I do not use it on my wounds. He slept separate from the girls last night. No crowing this morning. He sounds a bit wheezy but still makes his usually cooing sounds. He moves around fine.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I washed and dressed his wound this morning. Then I fashioned a T-shirt sleeve around his neck to prevent him scratching it. I also have him outside in the coop with his ladies. All 3 are much calmed together and Jay Jay starting eating pellets right away. (He ate yogurt and oatmeal last night and early this morning. He is drinking as well.

From other posts I have seen that other fowl have recovered from serious wounds. I hop JJ will be a success story too. Please let me know if you have any advice. I'm no expert about injury care. My partner wanted to cull him for dog or people food, but I love this roo. I can't take his life from him unless he is suffering and there is NO HOPE. Please reassure me that he has a chance at a long life...He's barely 7 months old.

Also, I know Haku needs daily exercise and discipline to grow up and be a great farm dog. I believe he will protect the chickens given time and the proper training. Thanks for understanding everyone!

2. MohicanHase

MohicanHase Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    Ouch!!! I hope he has a speedy recovery!!! at least it only got the skin and not the windpipe!

3. Fly Right

Fly Right Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    The wound looks good with what you have done so far. I would also slather it with neosporin to keep it from getting infected. As long as he keeps eating and drinking he should be fine. Just monitor it for infection. Good luck. Definitely don't need to cull him if he keeps eating and drinking. He looks like a fighter anyway.

4. CabraVerde

CabraVerde Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2014
    Thank you! I washed off some matted feathers this morning and then applied Bacitracin to the area, especially where the skin meets the muscle. He's in the coop with his ladies resting. I hope he makes it. He is a tough bird.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  5. Fly Right

Fly Right Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    I was just wondering how your roo is doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by