Rooster neck-pecking injuring my Orpington

austinshannon

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Hi,

I have a beautiful Buff Orpington who has had her neck pecked and wounded by my 10 month old Ameraucana Rooster.

I have put dressing on the wound, it is pretty bad. He has pecked the other hens but they just lost a few feathers. With the Orpington he has made quite a mess.

I have her separated from the group in quarantine to heal. Has this happened to anyone? Is there something to be done, other than getting rid of the rooster?

Thanks,

shannon

Me! It happened to one of my 18 wk. old Buff Orp. pullets Saturday night as a matter of fact.
barnie.gif
My Silkie roo pecked her so badly (I mean it looked like a coon or possum had gotten ahold of her), I didn't think she would make it. I even had doubts at first that it was my roo until I saw him doing it to another pullet. That bad boy was evicted from the coop and he has now been re-homed. He gets along fine with the standard size layers, but anything smaller he was just being a tail-wipe to. I don't know what else to tell you to do with the rooster other than to get rid of him. Sorry.

welcome-byc.gif
!!!

Last edited:
It happened to us too...almost got rid of the rooster...but I took the pecked one away and let her heal alone...now she rejoined the group and is okay. I cleaned the wound betadine.

Back
Top Bottom