rooster needed for eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gazinga, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

i have 10 buff orphs and am anticipating the first eggs. I was just curious, do i need a rooster to get good egg counts? Do the hens lay better with a rooster present or the same either way? I only want teh eggs for consumption, i do not wish to have more chicks.....(yet)

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    You don't need a rooster to get eggs, the hens will lay the same amount either way.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Based on your not wanting any chicks then you only need hens. They will lay just fine and not have a bunch of ragged feathers from an amorous roo.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:The hens will be more calm and sedate too, without the males around. And they wont pester you to buy them lipstick and highheels, either

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

6. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    Since we're on this subject... does a rooster know that a hen is about to lay eggs for the first time? My rooster favored one hen over the others and she was the first layer. All hens were supposed to be exactly the same age. This banty rooster even stood in front of the nest box before she hopped up there to check things out. A few hours later she laid her first egg. He stood there by her the entire time. He sensed something I believe.

7. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

Davaroo, thats funny! sounds great i hate buying shoes and lipstick! LOL [​IMG][​IMG]

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:Hens and roosters do communicate. I even have a roo that will coo to the new chicks. I am very sure they all can detect things in one another such as changes, etc. I think it's the same way men know we are PMSing LOL [​IMG]

Your rooster was doing his job. He is preprogramed by mother nature for that behavior.

9. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Aren't roos great? [​IMG]

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:You betcha! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by