Rooster needs a buddy

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Usually_hooves, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Usually_hooves

Usually_hooves New Egg

Apr 6, 2009
    Western Kentucky
    I have gained a rooster on my farm due to a neighbor moving and leaving him behind. I have no idea why they had him, but he was the only fowl they had. I believe he was buddies with a daschound they kept in a pen.
    He has stayed put at our place all weekend and has tried to buddy with the horses, but they wander too far out for him.
    My question is what can I get for him as a buddy. I have too many hunting barn cats to get a hen that lays, the chicks wouldn't live very long. Would another rooster work? There are no hens around (for him to fight over) our farm anywhere. Or how can I find a hen that won't lay?
    thanks for your time and thanks in advance for any advice [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Get him a hen, look on craigslist.org in your area. Someone will have older hens that are beyond the laying years that will be available or POST an ad looking for hens or roos that need rehoming. There will be plenty of takers.

Where are you located.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Keeping hens with a rooster is no guarantee you'll have chicks. I'd suggest getting at least 3 heavy-breed layers. They'll make your rooster happy, they'll give you over a dozen eggs a week, and they'll give your cats second thoughts about ever bothering them. Even if one of them decided to go broody & try to incubate eggs, you don't have to let her finish the project. Or you could pen the broody hen with her chicks until they got to a cat-proof size.

4. Usually_hooves

Usually_hooves New Egg

Apr 6, 2009
    Western Kentucky
    Quote:I need to fill out my profile hehe
    I am in Western Kentucky.
    They are having a sale this weekend, kind of like any auction I was thinking of looking there too.
    I really don't want a bunch of hens, I have just got attached to this guy he is really cool. I think in about a week I will have him coming to me as he is already coming within 2 feet [​IMG]

5. Sunny Side Up

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Nothing will make your rooster happier than having a harem of hens to husband. Although one roo can manage up to 12 hens, 1 roo with 3 hens is a nice family group. A roo can wear out just 1 or 2 hens with his attentions. It's pleasant to watch a little family group of chickens browsing around the place intent on their personal birdy business. Depending on the particulars of your place, they might find a safe roosting place by themselves. Or you could make a small coop for their protection at night.

6. Usually_hooves

Usually_hooves New Egg

Apr 6, 2009
    Western Kentucky
    Will he be ok if he is the only bird?

7. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    most likely not.....he may just up and leave in search of a woman!

8. Usually_hooves

Usually_hooves New Egg

Apr 6, 2009
    Western Kentucky
    Quote:Okay new at this, what are heavy breed layers? Forgive my ignorance please [​IMG]
    thanks again

9. Usually_hooves

Usually_hooves New Egg

Apr 6, 2009
    Western Kentucky
    I just looked up what kind of rooster he is, he is a barnevelder. Is that a common breed?

10. Sunny Side Up

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Barnevelders are beautiful, not a very common breed, and the roosters are very handsome. Check out McMurray Hatchery's web site, http://www.McMurrayHatchery.com and look at all the heavy breeds of chickens they carry. They're just bigger & heavier than little bantams, or other large but slender breeds like Polish. You could pair your roo with any type of hens, but other heavy breeds would stand up better to his attentions, and discourage your cats from bothering them. And you don't even have to go with pure bred hens, even some nice heavy mixed-breed ladies would do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by