Rooster needs to go??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by noahsark, Aug 15, 2010.

1. noahsark

noahsark Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    I am so bummed as i was going to keep this one java/cochin rooster out of the 20 we raised for meat..I have 4 brahma hens that are pets..Their rooster was dead in the pen a few days ago..not sure if there was fowl play on part of the java..But now that all the birds are gone accept my 4 hens (that I have had for 7 years)One of my hens that only has one wing is TERRIFIED of him, every time he sees her he jumps on her and flips her over..Its horrible, shes been hiding in the garage all day..the other 3 dont care about him..I hate to harvest him, every time I come outside he ducks down, and hes really friendly to me! It just seems since shes my first chicken I ever had I need to protect her and keep her happy..I tried placing an add to find him a home, but no luck..I did raise him for food...its so hard..what do you all think?Hes locked up by himself in the coop right now, and she is happy and foraging around with her friends.I should have NEVER named any of those meat birds!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Eat him! Your hens were there first. They shouldn't have to put up with his bullying. If you really want a rooster, find a more gentle one somewhere.

3. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    oooh, he's gotta go. That's like throwing an 18 year old with your 70 year old knitting club members. Your ladies are beyond thinking a man is necessary!

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Yea, I would probably rehome or eat the rooster. I can't stand it when the chickens hurt each other.The whole pecking order thing has me on edge anyway,so if a rooster is adding to that I hit my limit very fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by