Rooster nervous breakdown

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SF Farmgirl, Jul 14, 2011.

1. SF Farmgirl

SF Farmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    San Francisco
    I have a young Araucana rooster who displays all the usual rooster bravado and takes good care of his girls. However, once in awhile, I encounter him crouched behind an object such as a large planter hiding and clucking to himself nervously. Does anyone know what this is about?

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I don't have any roosters so I'm sorry I can't help but I'm sure someone can chime in. Good luck.

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    He wants his precious...

Sorry. Couldn't resist. This does seem very strange behaviour. I'll be watching for responses from people smarter than me.

4. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    I have a nervous guy too. He's a bantam, and I think he knows he really can't do much to protect his ladies, so if he feels there's a threat, he'll keep them in the coop, and only venture out a few feet to forage. Occasionally he'll just walk in a tight circle clucking to himself. Or hide behind something and peep his little head out. It's kind of kooky, but sweet.

5. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I had a cockerel that would do the same thing. He would hiding behind a huge tree, and peep to himself. I am not sure if anyone has ever had a hen that needs to lay an egg but can't get into the coop. So they will lay on the ground and cluck? It almost sounded like that a little [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  6. patricium

patricium Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Western New York
    My BR rooster occasionally goes into some sheltered spot (or the nestbox) and clucks. It's always when the hens are around - I think he might be suggesting to them that this is a good place to nest. They usually gather around and check it out.

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:LOL!!!! Hilarious!

I think it is possible he's trying to tell the girls this would be a good nesting spot. Roosters do point those kind of places out, but usually hens ignore him (that's what women do) and find their own nesting place.

9. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Quote:This makes a great deal of sense! Fits with what I observe in my young BR.

10. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

How young is he?

It does sound like he is looking for a safe spot for his girls to lay. A cockerel or roo fill find a spot, arrange himself and get comfy; then cluck and call the girls over to him to show them that it is a great place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by