rooster never crows?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickeneer45, Oct 16, 2012.

1. chickeneer45

chickeneer45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    my rooster never crows EVER... is this odd. he is at the rock bottom of the pecking order (actually he is second to last in the pecking order). i know he can crow because when he went to buy him, he crowed several times, but he hasn't since. is this normal? any insight would be great.
    -chickeneer45

2. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I'd like to hear some answers as well, since I adopted a buff orpington roo when he was 2 months old from co-worker that lives in city limits and can't have a roo. She says he crowed there and in the car on the drive over, but hasn't EVER crowed at my place.

I have two other roosters that crow and a buff orpington hen I adopted because she was taking on roo behavior and jumping the hens at neighbor's house who doesn't have any roos. Bernadette started crowing at my place 3 months after adopting her.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    If they are low on the pecking order and you have another rooster that crows, sometimes the lower status roo will be quiet - until the other rooster(s) leave the flock - then they will start crowing.

4. chickeneer45

Sep 17, 2012
    the only other rooster is still a baby and is much too young to crow

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Well, there goes that theory! How long have you had him? Perhaps he is still just settling in and trying to figure out his place in the flock? I got my rooster when he was only 5 months old (although he is a huge guy so even then was bigger than any of my adult hens). He didn't crow at all the first couple of days he was here, but once he settled in, he started.

6. chickeneer45

Sep 17, 2012
    i have had him for just over two weeks. he gets bullied a lot by one of the hens and he is smaller than her even though he is full grown

7. chickeneer45

Sep 17, 2012
    I posted this about a month ago but since yesterday he has been crowing his head off (figuratively). every spare second he gets he crows. seemingly overnight, he went from bottom of the pecking order to undisputed leader. is this normal? any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by