Rooster never crows!

Danragg

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 5, 2013
My rooster is 6 months old,treading hens and does everything a 6 month old roo should do... but crow! He crows one in 7 days! (Not complaining) haha! Does anyone know if he will stay like this for the rest of his life or will he begin to crow like a normal rooster? Thanks! :)

I think you should be thankful. There is a big disparity in the amount of crowing roosters will do. After I select roosters for breeding based on all the breed standards and I have perhaps 4 roosters that are all good, I select the one that crows the least to continue his genetics.

I kept the least virile cockerel from my last hatch, and he only crows a couple times a day. The others crowed a lot more. Maybe it has to do with lack of virility/testosterone, but it is a good thing for a small backyard flock.

Thanks for the help guys :) do you think this will last or is it too good to be true! I wondered if it was because he was not mature but by 6 months he should be right??

I'm sure there is no guarantee he won't start crowing more later, but I can tell you that my other boys crowed regularly at six months old. They practiced frequently, but really got their crow on at about six months. So be happy he doesn't crow a lot now, because even if he does crow more frequently as he grows, he will most likely never crow as much as others.

Chickens are really not considered 'full grown' until a year old...sometimes not until after their first adult molt at around 18 months, as plumage can change.
He'll continue to gain size for at least the next few months.

Back
Top Bottom