Rooster next door.... uhh?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GimmeCake, Aug 11, 2013.

1. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    I'm getting a rooster soon. Now I guess I didn't think about this, but next door, about 100 feet from my coop, the neighbors have a rooster of their own. It's loud. But I've heard about roosters crowing to each other. What will happen if mine hears his crow, and he hears mine's crow? I don't want to be up all not listening to that, haha.

2. suezqz_64

suezqz_64 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Not at night but very early in the morning. My neighbor lived about a 1/2 mile down the hill and our roosters used to do that... very, very early.

3. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Yikes.

2640 feet = 0.5 miles
    100 feet = 0.0189394 miles

So, generally, how much do they crow before one "wins"?

4. shotgunfairy

shotgunfairy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    apex. north carolina
    My husbands dad lives about a good acre away an his rooster and our rooster battle back and forth with crowing. If their too close they might try to confront each other an fight.

5. SPARKLESILKIE

SPARKLESILKIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2012
    South Florida
    Funny that you mention a fight... I have a rooster and so does my sister. They have been fighting since they were chicks. Although their fighting has gotten worse. They jump at each other but they jump a little too far and they end up all tangled up. But now cookie, my rooster doesn't bother the fight with charity, my sisters rooster, he fights with Faith, my hen!! And Faith handles it well. ' you rip my feathers I rip yours. ' and she did not only that but she kept the feathers in her mouth and trotted right over to me to show me that she taught cookie a lesson!!

6. SPARKLESILKIE

Dec 9, 2012
    South Florida
    But those roosters can't hurt each other because they live in the same coop and eat together and know each other. Even when they were chicks we couldn't keep them away from each other because I knew they'd hurt each other later.

7. SPARKLESILKIE

Dec 9, 2012
    South Florida
    They also do crow to show how 'tough' they can be. Nothing can stop cookie from anything. I was squeezing 'hugging' him so tight because he ripped faiths feathers out but he still managed a crow. AWKWARD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by