Rooster Night box

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kdub86, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Kdub86

Kdub86 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Hi All,

Just thougght i'ld show you my new Rooster night box i have been working on.

[​IMG] Nice 60 L bin

[​IMG] My Sussex Roo trying out his new home.

[​IMG] Roost

[​IMG] Air holes to breath... Drilled holes under the handles to minimise light entering.

Works a treat don't hear a pip out off him till we let him out.......YAY...
    I also made my sister one but her roo is a bit more vocal so we had to line the inside with carpet and it reduces the sound perfect.

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

That`s funny!! Better patent that thing. At least one post a week here about noisey roosters, LOL.........Pop

3. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Hey, Dont take this the wrong way,but how would you like to be in a garbage can?? fact is: roos crow,and they crow pretty. If you dont want a roo,dont make him a garbage can home. (my opinion)

4. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Does the rooster stay in your house?

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    My roos crow at night and it is pitch black so i don't yhink a trash can would stop any of them but i guess it would muffle the noise and maybe keep them from hearing whatever is making them crow:D
    [​IMG]

6. Kdub86

Jul 6, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Quote:I live in surburbia and I have raised my roo since he hatch so i had to do something all these posts about putting them in boxes never worked neighbors don't want to be woken up at early. So this just seemed a lot easier and quicker then building a wooden box for him to build a roost in something that is dark inside.
    Lol and the bin is brand new and clean:p

7. Kdub86

Jul 6, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Quote:No he actually sleeps in the grarge of a night, but then meets up with his girls after a nice peaceful nights sleep

8. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:I live in surburbia and I have raised my roo since he hatch so i had to do something all these posts about putting them in boxes never worked neighbors don't want to be woken up at early. So this just seemed a lot easier and quicker then building a wooden box for him to build a roost in something that is dark inside.
    Lol and the bin is brand new and clean:p

I can see your dilema,but roos crow.Thats what they do.they crow to claim their turf,they crow to warn of danger (from hostile butterflies) [​IMG] and they crow just to hear themselves. Try bribing your neighbor with eggs and tell them about your boy. dont make him the next "oscar the grouch".

9. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Thats pretty funny. Judging by him sitting on his perch, pretty as can be, he doesn't mind it. I would have to have about 40 garbage cans. LOL!! I have a friend who puts his roos away at night. It works for him and his neighbors who don't mind the chickens but don't want to be woken up by a rooster proclaiming how beautiful his voice is at 3:00 a.m.

My only concern would be the temp on hot evenings.

Yes roos crow, but it can be irritating to those who don't wish to have chickens for their own and are subjected to it because your neighbor has them. I think it is very neighborly of you to find a solution that works for you and your neighbors while allowing you to keep your pet.

Lanae

10. Mommy2Blaze

Mommy2Blaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dalton, GA
    hee hee hostile butterflies love it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by