Rooster "no crow necklace"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sillychicks123, Oct 7, 2013.

1. sillychicks123

sillychicks123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    So I'm buying three silkies from a woman on Saturday who breeds them, and she said that it is not guaranteed I will get all hens (which is what I want). I have two chickens at the moment, but I used to have five, three of which were polish, which were SUPPOSED to come sexed from the hatchery I got them from, but they ALL turned out to be roos:( I personally get really attached to all my animals, especially my chickens because I think of them as my babies since I raised them from birth practically, so I was extremely upset. I am still worried that my silkie may be a roo because she is only 4 months old, and you can only be sure when they are about 6 months old. Any who, the lady that I am buying them from told me that I could always purchase this "no crow" necklace her friend makes and sells, because it goes around their neck, and must put pressure somewhere to make it so they can't crow.They can still breathe fine, and make some noises, but not nearly as much. Has anyone every heard about these/know if they actually work? The lady seems really nice, but I am having a hard time believing her! I have already gotten rid of three of my babies, and I certainly DON'T want to have to give up another!!! Also, if I did get and keep the roo and buy the necklace, Would the roo fertilize the eggs? Or is there a way I could stop him maybe. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks!!!!

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    a roo gonna do what a roo supposed to do. dont be taken

3. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I don't know for sure BUT if there were a necklace on the market that eliminated or even just reduced how much a rooster crowed, every urban backyard farmer would be using it and telling friends. Seems like a scam.

4. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Only if you wrapped it around his beak...

5. sillychicks123

Jun 11, 2013
    Well I dont think its really a big market or anything, just a lady who has her own little business and sells them in her little county. I am asking the breeder for more info, and once I research them I will probably post more on this thread to tell you guys what I found out. The breeder herself I thinks uses them and says they are wonderful, but im not really sure.... I hope there is such a thing because I am really worried about getting another Roo!!!

6. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    id wrap it around some thing. a rooster can be caponized ,i dont think too many people do that tho. unless its the eggs ur after, silkies are the sweetist chickens i know. i dought if the roosters would fight. ive had 4 or 5 for about 4 months and i still dont know what sex they are

7. sillychicks123

Jun 11, 2013
    Im not really worried about the fighting, because I do know how kind and dopey they are too lol. And I could honestly care less about the eggs. As long as my girls are happy and healthy, I'm happy. My Silkie is 4 months, and I hope either she is a hen, or that "no crow" necklace really does work because I'm NOT getting rid or her too!!! And I dont think I would caponize my Roo if I get one. Is there any other way to keep him from fertilizing the hens eggs?

8. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    Just separation. Why are you worried about fertilization? If you collect the eggs regularly than it won't matter.

9. sillychicks123

Jun 11, 2013
    Oh lol ok. I was just worried that I would try to eat one and find a little embryo instead. Even the thought of it grosses me out haha. But as long as its fine to eat im all good

10. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    Absolutely no difference at all (taste or appearance). Maybe if you left it uncollected for a week during a humid heat wave you might get a surprise, so just don't do that... lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by