Rooster not able to maintain his balance

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buzsaw58, Apr 2, 2017.

1. buzsaw58

buzsaw58 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Montgomery Tx.
    So this is not the first time I've seen this. Other instances have resulted in loss. I currently have a two year old BLRW rooster who is suffering through an inability to maintain his balance, he staggers around the coop or my sick call/broodie pen as I call it. I have given him antibiotics, and he seems to be able to at least stand up, but still not able to move around freely. I did notice after picking him up the other day that he has a large scab, thinking bumble foot, on one of his feet. Could this be the cause ( infection) or is there possibly something else that would cause these symptoms?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I had the same problem with chickens in the past----last time was a grown polish rooster----he would eat alot but might fall right into his plate or over---Keep in mind I had about 1000 at this time in 67 chicken pens so a lot of one on one was not possible. I ran into the pen and grabbed him up----he was so light---hardly no breast meat-----I grabbed a couple of the 4 hens that were in that same pen----they too were very thin. I quickly wormed them for tape worms(no wazine here)----2 days later he was acting a little better. In about a month or so they all had gained a lot of weight and everything was fine. Might not be your problem, but if you feel they are under weight---I will be glad to tell you how I worm them for Tape Worms and other worms.

3. buzsaw58

buzsaw58 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Montgomery Tx.
    Well not sure on his weight, the breed tends to be larger and he is very big. It could just be feathers. I'll check him tonight. I mentioned he had a large scab on one of his feet, do you have any ideas on how to treat it? Should I remove the scab? If I do it will leave a large wound on the bottom of his foot. Your thoughts.

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Look up bumble foot----see if that is what he has on it? Feel his breast bone---does it feel like its about all bones or some what meaty? The rooster would also feel real light for his size----if he was way under weight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by