1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster not acting right and not crowing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by remist17, Oct 20, 2013.

1. remist17

remist17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I have a rooster that looks sick. His head is not high and he does not carry his head tall but withdrawn back in his body. He also seems to stumble and shake when standing and walking. He still pecks at things but usually stumbles. No signs of distress other than what was explained. Poop is normal. Tail feathers are all gone. He also does not crow.
    suggestions?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would suspect aspergillosis, which is a fungus in the lungs. Has he been exposed to any mold in feed, pine shavings or spilled feed in the poultry yard? I'm not sure about the loss of tail feathers except for possible molting, but with aspergillosis, there will be symptoms like sleepyness, weakness, silent gasping and loss of voice, poor appetite, increased thirst, and sometimes neurological signs like the stumbling that you described. There really is no treatment, except to remove the mold. Wet pine shavings where water gets spilled is a usual cause. Here is some info that you can read: http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disfungi.htm

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  3. remist17

Apr 29, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Rooster died yesterday sometime. Can I move the hen that was with him in with other birds? Or should I wait?
    I see no signs of problems or sickness with her

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm glad you posted. I wanted to know how he was doing. Sorry that you lost him. Did you look at the info on aspergillosis? Do you think he had it? It's not contagious, so i would move her in with the others unless she is showing symptoms or acting sick.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  5. remist17

Apr 29, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I saw the thread. I can not think of anything that could have been moldy but anything is possible. I will move hen tonight. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by