Rooster not acting right/ excessive drool

grace927

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
Tennessee
I have a Buff Rooster that has been fine... really getting a little too cocky lately ...
but about a week ago while we were working on the pen we let the chickens out to roam... a day after that I noticed he was just standing in the corner by him self tail down, comb down not looking right. He would perk up a little when you approached him but would go back to being by himself a little later.
Not going after the feed as usual, but when let him out later this past week he walked around and picked in the yard, though later finding him off to himself with the comb and tail down.

He still didn't like to be caught but examining him I didn't really "see" anything... this evening when I went out he was "roosting" in the opening of the door from house to pen. Picked him up and he had a large amount of drool/saliva pour out of his mouth???
Happened again... then almost acted like he was choking/sneezing and a very large amount came out.

None of the other flock have any kind of symptoms... I have searched online... the only think I can think of is he ate something when out in the yard that was poisonous.

I would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas??

Thanks!

Mehjr10

Songster
7 Years
May 17, 2012
Moscow, TN
How old is he ? How does his crop feel ? Have they been wormed? Any sounds when breathing rattling or sounds of congestion?

Last edited:

grace927

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
Tennessee
He is about a year and half ... no noises or sounds of congestion... I'll have to feel the crop, it didn't feel real full from holding him yesterday, this morning when I went out he did come walking out of the house and started eating some of the scraps I put out, comb still flopped over, but was over by the fence by the time I came back to the house. I have not wormed them but think I will... not sure what to get though yet.

Mehjr10

Songster
7 Years
May 17, 2012
Moscow, TN

Top Bottom