/rooster not clucking to hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stinaloudin, Sep 18, 2016.

1. stinaloudin

stinaloudin New Egg

Jun 14, 2015
    I have introduced a new rooster to my flock about 3 weeks ago. I'm not sure how old he is but i believe he is matured. So far no hen has warmed up to him and when i feed them he fights the hen for the food. Every other rooster I have had will cluck to the hens and make sure they get a share of the food. Any idea why he would do that and is this a sign he might be mean as he gets older. I'm still fairly new at all this so any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Hmmmm?
    He sounds young....Not sure why you think he will be mean other than the fact he is a Rooster?
    Takes time to get established with the ladies...As long as no blood is shed?, they will all figure it out....

You never said how old the Hens are, so I guess they are pullets?
    Maturity plays a big part with Roosters and Pullets...

3. stinaloudin

stinaloudin New Egg

Jun 14, 2015
    its a mixture of pullets and mature hens. I have many different ages. My fear of him possibly being mean is him fighting the hens for food. I am fairly new to chickens but have never seen it so i was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on it.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I believe he is young and maybe a bit deprived of feed at his last home? He will calm down...He must be hungry and showing the hens he is tops to all the feed first...Still being a Rooster, just not tid biting yet?

Cheers

5. stinaloudin

stinaloudin New Egg

Jun 14, 2015
    Ok thank you so much

6. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Ours didn't start being considerate of the ladies for a while. As chicks and teenagers the cockerels were jerks, eating first, drinking first, actively pecking and chasing the girls away from "their" food. It all turned out OK. Don't be afraid to separate him to a place where he can see but not touch the ladies. After a couple weeks, our main guy started to dance for them for the first time and learned how to call them and how to tid-bit- things he didn't bother with when he could reach them. Came out of his 2 week "see but don't touch" a much more hen friendly fellow.

7. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    My roosters didn't start getting rooster like behavior until nearly 6 months of age. They looked mature earlier but didn't call the hens and act gentlemanly until the half year mark. Yours may not be as old as you think. And like mentioned above, he may not have come from a good environment before. It just may take him a while to see the hens are not competition for the food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by