Rooster not Crowing right

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Capron09, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Capron09

Capron09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    So I noticed at 4am when Tyson our Rooster started to crow that he sounded the same way the night before and that his crow didnt sound right. It is more grumbled or muffled than his normal pronounced coca doodle doodle dooo! Maybe he has something stuck in his throat? I dont know how I could tell. Maybe he got bit by fire ants in his food (its South Florida so it is very possible) ? Is there anything I should do or you can suggest or just wait it out? He seems to be eating fine and acting fine allthough I did notice him yesterday pecking at the ground and doing this thing... Im not sure how to explain it.....if anyone has pet birds and you know how they eat there food then regurgitate it and they do that thing with there head while they are regurgitating? Thats what he was doing. So maybe he is trying to throw up whatever is stuck! I guess that would make sense now that im talking it out here! lol So what can I do if anything?

Thank you!

2. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    If he'll let you, I'd hold his beak open and look down his throat to see if there is anything immediately obvious... is he eating?

3. Capron09

Capron09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Yes he is eating like no tomorrow. His crow sounds a bit like it did when he was a baby and didnt have a crow yet. hubby says maybe he is going through a change? I will have to wait till he crows again but the last few days he hasnt crowed durring the day like he normally does. He is only crowing at like 4-5 am and stops about 7 am. he usually crows straight from 4=5 till about 10 or so and a few time in the high noon and again at dusk.

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I wonder if he's got something respiratory going. You might want to treat him with some antibiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by