Rooster not crowing. Sounds congested

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ronkonkoma, Jan 4, 2015.

1. ronkonkoma

ronkonkoma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2014
    Long Island NY
    I think he's going to die :( Gurgling like. Not eating or drinking. Or coming out of coop. Tail kind of drooping. No changes in food. No injuries. The only thing that changed is I switched from shavings to straw??? Why is he sick. He's my only rooster :( I have him in the house but he seems bad!! He was fine a few days ago! Shadows the splash in my avatar :(

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Have you tried opening his mouth ? If so...any signs of any yellow or beige growth in his mouth or throat ?

When did you last de-worm your flock...? He may have signs of gapeworm

You mention he is gurgling...this may be a sign of a respiratory disease...if so..he will need an antibiotic...

He may have something lodged in his throat..have you tried giving him some olive oil soaked bread ?

Just a few things to consider...

Hope he survives...he is gorgeous!

3. ronkonkoma

May 4, 2014
    Long Island NY
    I'm new at this and have only had my chickens since summer. I have 3. How do I deworming them and how do I get antibiotics in him if he's not eating or drinking?

4. ronkonkoma

May 4, 2014
    Long Island NY
    I don't see any growth or anything stuck but he sounds bad.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Get some Tylan 50 injectable antibiotic with several syringes and needles to withdraw it from the vial. Give him 0.2-0.3 ml orally of the Tylan once a day for 5 days. Purchase Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer. Give 1/4 ml of either orally. Valbazen can be given once, and repeated in 10 days. SafeGuard is given 5 days in a row to treat more rare worms. More likely this is a respiratory disease such as MG or others, but the wormer will treat gapeworm or capillaria worms which can affect breathing. Here is a good link to read on respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

6. ronkonkoma

May 4, 2014
    Long Island NY
    I'm wondering if I can get all this from my feed store ? Syringes and needles?

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If it is illegal in your state to get syringes and needles at a feed store, a pharmacy may be able to supply them. You can also open the top of the vial with pliers and use a needless syringe to withdraw the medicine. It should be then covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated. Each feeds tore is different, but many supply Tylan 50 and the dewormers, especially the SafeGuard. These will be in the sections for cows and goats. Valbazen may be available, bu could be more difficult to find. If you should find Tylan 200, it is 4 times as powerful as the Tylan 50, so the dosage is 1/4 that of the Tylan 50. Tylan 50 is 50mg per ml while Tylan 200 is 200mg per ml.

8. ronkonkoma

May 4, 2014
    Long Island NY
    He didn't make it :(

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry for your loss. It would be good to get the Tylan50 just to have it in case anymore get sick.

10. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I too am so very sorry that he didn't make it...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by