Rooster not eating because he's "love-sick"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by azygous, Apr 1, 2012.

1. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    My two-year old Buff Brahma rooster Penrod is off his feed. He eats so little these days, his crop has shrunk to the size of a walnut. He even ignores his scratch grain ration. But he doesn't act like he doesn't feel well.

Last night I did get him to eat some dried cat food, BOSS, and some raisins. But his poop shows green bile, so it would appear he's not getting enough to eat.

Could it just be it's spring and he's only thinking about the hens and forgetting to eat? He doesn't have access to the girls, by the way. He and his fellow roo Darrel are bachelors.

Is this common with roosters in springtime for their appetites to slack off ?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Thanks, that's a very helpful link. I'll save the link.

Penrod has been pooping more normally today, so I have a hunch he's just been feeling his hormones and has been spending more time intimidating his buddy Darrel (through the fence) than eating.

I'll continue to tempt him with cat food and Boss and raisins. I won't let him starve.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by