1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Rooster not eating?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ZEM, Aug 10, 2010.

1. ZEM

ZEM Hatching

May 29, 2010
    Hello, I have a Brahma rooster that was given to me be a woman who, apparently, didn't know how to care for it.

His beak was far too long, and I had to trim it immediately. After I trimmed it, it was still a bit too long.

He seemed to be fine for awhile, but then he started acting strange, seemed to be weak, no longer crowing, and so I trimmed his beak a bit further and now it is the proper length. After the second trimming he ate for the rest of the evening, but for the last two days (following the trimming) he hasn't eaten, with the exception of nibbling at some grass. What could be wrong with him?

I think he may be weak from not eating enough for too long, and now just doesn't feel like eating... ??? Is that possible? And how can I get him to eat again? Thanks in advance for any help! [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. I recommend providing him plain yogurt (probiotic), canned beef catfood (protein) mixed in his feed to make a mash and give it to him....do this for several days and it should get him back on track. You can also buy poultry nutri drench at a feed store or TSC and add it to his water. Discontinue using it after 3 days, it might cause diarrhea. Always make sure he has freshwater. Good luck.

3. ZEM

ZEM Hatching

May 29, 2010
    Thank you very much for your help! [​IMG]

4. ZEM

ZEM Hatching

May 29, 2010
    He has lost more weight... [​IMG]
    Maybe he has another problem as well?
    I have noticed him opening his mouth as if he were yawning several times, could that be an indicator of something?

5. dawg53

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Could be worms. Do you know how old he is?

6. stoo

stoo In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Hagerstown
    yawning could be worms, like crop worms or something. Give him a shot of Ivomec and a second dose again in 10 days.

7. dawg53

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The weight loss could be due to worms. I dont recommend ivermectin until we know the worming history, as well as its approximate age. The yawning could be due to excessive heat, ear mites, lice/mites, gapeworm, an obstruction in the throat, wet pox, loud noise...who knows. There's not enough information to make a determination and recommendation.

8. ZEM

ZEM Hatching

May 29, 2010
    @dawg53, sorry for not responding sooner, I did get your PM...

I don't know much about him at all and the woman who gave him to me didn't seem to know the first thing about chickens, period.

We do know that he is a full-grown adult. That is all. [​IMG]

He is no longer eating the feed we give him, but will only eat grass. His poop is runny, white with bluish-green in color.

9. ZEM

ZEM Hatching

May 29, 2010
    Unfortunately, he died yesterday morning. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by