Rooster not mating?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickeneyfoot, Mar 15, 2012.

1. chickeneyfoot

chickeneyfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2011
    My easter egger roo didnt crow yet and hes 20 weeks. I see him chasing girls and trying to mount them. So i put him in with my bantam easter eggers & nothing!! HE won't even look at them!! :((((( When will he be mating?> I want some easter egger babies on easter!

2. Im sorry i cant help you,i have the same problem!! my rooster (breeding age, he should be breeding) isnt mating, Ive seen him breed twice, thats it, and its with the hen that hardly ever lays! and shes the only one who would let him breed! good lucks with you rooster, hopefully in spring we'll get chickies (in AK its still winter [​IMG] even in may kinda)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Your rooster is still young, and when put him in with the hens he was automatically at the bottom of the pecking order. Give him some time to show them how manly he is...

4. chickeneyfoot

Dec 17, 2011
    Do you know how long for him to get goin'?

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I think that depends on his personality. If he's a take charge kind of guy, he'll get the girls in line and get to his duties pretty quickly. If he's shy, it may take him a few weeks. Just because you aren't seeing it, doesn't mean its not happening. Crack open a few eggs and check if they're fertile. If they are, you'll see a small, white bullseye on the yolk of the egg. Good luck!

6. chickeneyfoot

Dec 17, 2011
    Update! He's being bullied by the small hens!!!! Gahhhh

7. the fact hes being bullied by small hens doesnt matter, banams can overule lF chickens easy,it depends on what rank of the pecking order they are on to be worried if it will take a lot longer for him to start breeding

8. LF, not iF lol

9. luvmyEs

luvmyEs Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    I've got an americana roo who is about the same age as yours. He has tried to mate my silkies, but when he mounts them they just walk out from under him[​IMG]. It took him a while to not be bullied by them.

10. chickeneyfoot

Dec 17, 2011
    I'm like come on!! I want some babies! Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by