Rooster not performing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HenneePennee, Mar 16, 2012.

1. HenneePennee

HenneePennee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Alabama
    I have a small flock of Buff Orpingtons. There were 2 roosters and 8 hens. Someone bought one of my roosters, and apparently he was the dominant one. Now my remaining roo is just one of the gals. He is a year old. He has never crowed. I've put him in isolation for 2 weeks and I put him back in with the gals and no change. Please help. Am I going to have to trade him off?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    How long was he the only rooster before you separated him? He could be mating while you aren't looking, him thinking your the dominate, so he's still sneaking. Still not even trying to crow at all. If there is nothing physically wrong, the other rooster must really have intimidated him.

3. HenneePennee

HenneePennee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Alabama
    He is a really large, beautiful rooster. But it just appears there is not an aggressive feather on him. Oh my. I am puzzled.
    I can pick him up, he doesn't peck at me. Yes, the other rooster was definitely the man.

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I have a cockerel born Dec 21st that think he king around here now. Bob, my year GLW don't care a thing for that either. If we lived closer and you want this cockerel he's yours. His mama is a BO and Bob's the daddy. But I think in time yours will understand he doesn't have to fear the other one. Time cures a lot of stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by