rooster not standing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by broken bridge farms, Jan 6, 2011.

1. broken bridge farms

broken bridge farms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    my rooster is not standing we think the puppy nipped his foot i went to the co-op they told me to mix a 16oz bottle of bleach with a gallon of water and this will help has any one know about this

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What would you do with it?

If there is a wound, just treat it as you would your own cuts, clean and use Neosporin or whatever. BluKote is handy if there is blood showing as it keeps the others from pecking it. If he is just limping or not putting weight on it without a wound, and you can't feel a fracture, you can just wait it out or rest him in a confined area for a while to see if it clears up on its own. I have a young chick who is limping. I couldn't find any wounds or fractures so just put him back with his mother. He rests a lot more than the other chicks do and seems to be regaining some strength in that leg.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Bleach! thats what the man at my feed store said I should worm my chickens with, like ddawn says treat as you would your own injury, Might need to isolate him and look him over real good, also would keep the other chickens from pecking him while he's down.

4. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Quote:No, please NO! First of all, 16oz bleach with 1 gal of water is too strong for ANYTHING!
    OK, I've calmed down now. Sorry about that.
    A dilute solution of Betadine (medical grade iodine) is most often used to disinfect wounds. By dilute, I mean enough Betadine mixed with water to make a light amber color. I use jelly jar of water + a few drops Betadine. You don't want to make more than you can use at a time because it loses it's disinfecting properties pretty quick. (you can see for yourself by mixing a small jar and leaving it out overnight - it loses it's color).
    Neosporin, applied in a thin coating works well. The key to the whole thing is to disinfect and apply the ointment twice a day. If the rooster is outside, it will be tough to keep his foot clean. I have a rooster in my spare bathroom as I speak. I wrap his foot after treating it with gauze over the owie, wrapped with masking tape. He goes outside in a cage about 3' X 2' during the day when the weather's nice, otherwise he's inside. I sure hope this doesn't go on too much longer - it's already been a week, but then he has a pretty big owie.
    Hope yours is ok soon. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by