rooster now has NO tail feathers... is he ok?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenswag, Aug 29, 2014.

1. chickenswag

chickenswag Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Our rooster, Pot Pie, was always pretty scruffy but he has recently lost every one of his tail feathers. He had about three until a dog went after our chickens and Pot Pie came to the rescue. No hens were lost, but Pot Pie now has a little bald patch on his rump. There's no blood or anything, and he acts the same as he always has. So my question is: Is there anything I can do to help him, or anything to check for? Maybe he needs a butt toupee haha

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    If it's not bleeding or not infected then there's not much you can do until the feathers grow back. What I'm confused about did the dog tear the feathers out or did they fall out before. Because all he did if he wasn't attacked by something was molt which will grow back.

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    You can treat him for mites and feather lice then put him on a ration for breeder birds or better 18% -23% protein or better. some small chunks of dry dog food every day or else hog chow will help. Also maybe a table spoon full of ground beef or canned dog food every week.
    If he is molting small pin or "blood" feathers should be noticeable. A rooster needs a lot 'o' protein to grow all 'them pretty feathers'

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by