Rooster of tippy toes on one leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrstillery09, Mar 2, 2015.

1. mrstillery09

mrstillery09 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Hey all, I noticed one of our roosters limping badly this morning. No thing wrong with his feet, and he just tip toes on one foot. What is everyone's suggestions?

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Perhaps he hopped down and landed funny.

Do you see any of his leg scales lifting or white crust around the edges?

Have you been able to inspect his foot/leg? Could he possibly have bumblefoot?

MrsB

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is he? Did he have a Mareks vaccine at birth? I would start poultry vitamins including riboflavin (vitamin B2) in case of deficiency. If he continues to limp, then confining him to a small pen with food and water would force him to rest the leg. Of course, that could make him more rowdy, so he how he tolerates it. Mareks disease and riboflavin deficiency can cause curled toe paralysis in which the foot curls into a claw and seems numb or paralyzed.

4. mrstillery09

mrstillery09 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I do wonder if he may have hopped down and hurt himself. His scales all seem normal. I looked his leg and foot over and it looks completely normal.

He is about 8 months old. He did not have a Mareks vaccine. I do think I will put him in a cage for a few days. He doesn't seem to have his toes curled, just only uses his toes when he hobbles along. He was unable to roost tonight so I put him in a nest box. Tomorrow I will get him separated and get him so vitamins!

5. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    At your earliest convenience, I would perform an inspection on your boy's leg and foot. ***Gently*** manipulate his leg at the "ankle," hock and hip joint. Geeeently. Watch him for signs of discomfort. If necessary, you may need to make a chicken sling for him (old t-shirt and cardboard box) to allow him ample healing time with optional weight on the leg.

Are his pupils nice and round, or are the edges starting to get sharp and jagged? Have you noticed any other unusual behavior or sounds coming from him?

I would make a concoction of turmeric (the yellow spice) and a boiled egg twice a day. There is no dosage... A liberal sprinkle will do. :) He should gobble that up. The protein will give him a little boost, and the turmeric will naturally bring down any inflammation. I would do this ONLY if 1) you identified the source of his limp as an injury, and 2) you decide to go the chicken sling route where he will be fairly immobile. Bringing down inflammation while the chicken is still injured and mobile can cause further injury. We want to avoid that.

Keep us posted. :)

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by