Rooster off balance

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by suzi-q, Dec 3, 2014.

1. suzi-q

suzi-q New Egg

Dec 3, 2014
    Help my rooster seems to be having balance problems. When he tries to walk or eat he looses balance and falls over. Any ideas?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. A few more details would be helpful to assist you. How old is he, and was he vaccinated for Mareks disease? Could he be dehydrated or kept from food? Is he having any diarrhea, and will he eat for you? Does he free range or stay inside a coop and run? Are his feet and legs moving or do they seem as if they are numb?

3. suzi-q

suzi-q New Egg

Dec 3, 2014
    He is around 5 years old and has never been vaccinated. I am making sure that he eats and drinks. No diarrhea and eating good. He is in a coop, feet and legs are moving. When he walks he gets off balance and falls over and when he bends to eat the same thing happens. And then sometimes he does pretty good at getting around. Thanks.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might keep a close eye on him and watch for any signs of ear infection (swelling or gunk around the ear,) and watch for any leg weakness or using wings to balance. During times of molt chickens can have unusual symptoms.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    He's 5 years old and that's old for a roo. By that age, it could be so many things including a brain tumor. I think you could try some vitamins or antibiotics if there is nothing left to try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by