Rooster off his game

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickenlipsinn, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Chickenlipsinn

Chickenlipsinn In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2019
    Louisiana
    my rooster is about 2 years old. On May 13 we had to cull a hen. In May 16 he made a strange half crow as if he had a sore throat. Since then he has not crowed or made ANY sound. He has not mated with the hens (13), mr does he alert them to food. He doesn’t get on the roost anymore just sleeps on the ground. His feathers look terrible and his tail droops. He’s very pale. He has been checked over for lice & mites, treated for Coccidiosis and wormed. He had none of that. His feet are fine. What in the heck do I do? Thanks.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. cleoandtheflock

cleoandtheflock Songster

Jan 16, 2019
    Georgia
    These people could help
    @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @casportpony

Could you post some pictures of him?
    Is he eating and drinking fine?
    I’m very worried that he hasn’t made any sounds.

ButtonquailGirl14 and Wyorp Rock like this.
  3. Chickenlipsinn

Jun 13, 2019
    Louisiana
    1BF7D3A6-A1FC-469D-82AE-F5B4E18E5E03.jpeg 16FABFDF-ACFF-4CEA-ADA2-D42D2C2D5773.jpeg
    He is eating and drinking. He has always been friendly but now he lets me pick him up even - not normal. He had lost weight, but had put some back on. He’s about 2 years old.

4. Chickenlipsinn

Jun 13, 2019
    Louisiana
    Bottom right is his normal

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Why did you cull hen?
    If because of disease, it's likely he has it too.

6. Chickenlipsinn

Jun 13, 2019
    Louisiana
    I was out of town and someone was caring for them. One of the hens looked poorly and upon inspection had at least 4 what looked like puncture wounds on her neck area - they had ants in them. She was in a very weakened state. Since then the dominant hen in the group is getting very bossy. A few other hens are missing feathers.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Health issue at play. Face pale and eyes droopy. What are you feeding him? How is his weight.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That's odd.
    Puncture wounds from the cock/erel, other females, predator?
    Are they crowded?

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @Chickenlipsinn
    Where in this world are you located?
    Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
    Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
    It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
    upload_2019-6-14_21-8-24.png

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @Chickenlipsinn :frow Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry your rooster is not feeling well.
    You mention you treated him for worms, coccidiosis and mites/lice - did he initially have any of those? What products did you use for treatment and the dosage?

Have you added any new chickens to your flock recently (last 30-60 days)?
    Have you found any injuries on him?
    Is he your only rooster?
    Crop is empty in the morning before he eats/drinks? No sour or rotten smell to his breath, inside of beak is clear of mucous/canker or sores?

If you have vet care, that would be best.
    It's so hard to know with chickens at times what is going on with them. You noticed he was unwell about a month ago, he lost weight, but is now gaining, did you track his weight/weigh him?

If he were mine, at this time I think I would make sure he's eating well, give him a balanced poultry feed that is 18-20% protein like chick starter or flock raiser/all flock. I would direct dose him with poultry vitamins like Poultry Cell at 1 cc per 3 pounds of weight for a 2-3 days to give him a boost.

Photos of his poop may be helpful as well. If he walks or moves awkwardly, a video of that too. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

10. Chickenlipsinn

Jun 13, 2019
    Louisiana
    He eats the same laying pellets as my hens. Nutrena 16-20%. He had lost a lot of weight but he is filling out some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: