Rooster old enough to mate?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SevenChix4Me, Jul 11, 2011.

1. SevenChix4Me

SevenChix4Me Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    I just received a Marans rooster and hen to add to my flock within the last week. She said he hadn't crowed yet. He crowed two days after I got him and this morning I saw him mount a hen. I thought he was too young for this. I think she said he and the hen are just around 12 weeks old. I can't remember for certain so I emailed her to confirm the age. If he is old enough to crow and mount the hens does that mean the hen that came with him is old enough to start laying eggs soon or is he just practicing?
    She said they were hatched out at the same time. I haven't seen any eggs from the hen yet though.

2. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry, I don't know much about roosters, but I do know that the hen will not lay until she is between 16-20 weeks old. But that won't stop the rooster, he's practicing for the real thing! Good luck with them! [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

At that age he's "practicing," since no 12 week old is near laying age. She will most likely begin laying somewhere near the 20 week mark, maybe a week or two before...maybe 2 or 3 weeks after. And as for crowing, some little guys crow at just a few weeks of age. [​IMG]

4. SevenChix4Me

SevenChix4Me Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Thank you! She emailed me back that they are just 11 weeks old now. So he won't be able to fertilize the other hens that are currently laying for another couple months either?

5. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    My 12 week old EE Roo, is madly in love with my bantam cochins. He is constantly mating them, much to their dismay. I was wondering if he was capable of fertilizing their eggs also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by