1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster on Pullet before laying:UPDATE shes laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kassy68, Oct 13, 2009.

1. kassy68

kassy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Vassar , Michigan
    My Coop
    Ok.. I have a 24 week old Ameracauna roo that is from show lines and I've found they mature slowly as this guy has no courting traits at all.. he has never even tried to crow. Well the good news is he did the dance around one of my 18 week old pullets (isa browns) she walked away.. he went up to her again and did it with an attempt to mount her.. she walked away.. but not before getting the attention of my Leghorn roo around the same age that came here around 21 weeks old and was full of testosterone, he feeds his girls, courts them and treats them very well..
    Well.. the leghorn went over to the same pullet and mounted her successfully, he did his thing and got off her... Now I assume he is letting the Amera Roo know that she is his girl as well as the older 4 hens.

Question here is.. If my Roo is mounting my pullet outta territory, is she getting ready to lay early?? and why did she let the roo breed her if she is not laying? thanks in advance.

UPDATE: Well, [​IMG] Its the 17th of October and as I was drinking my coffee I saw Leghorn on one of the Isa Browns again, (I've got two with really developed combs) And I went out to clean up the coop and do my thing and behold.. an egg.. a beautiful pullet egg... She was in the box yesterday moving the 2 eggs that that the others had laid around so nicely.. she had a squat look about her, but never sat. Well I'm so excited.. [​IMG] This is the $2875.00 egg..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    My red sex links started laying between 17-19 weeks. I can't remember exactly, but it was well before any of the other girls. Are her comb and wattles getting more developed and turning red?

Also, my roos started mating the pullets a week or so before they started to lay, but not any sooner then that, so I bet you'll be getting eggs from her soon. [​IMG]

3. kassy68

May 10, 2009
    Vassar , Michigan
    My Coop
    Quote:Thanks for the quick response. Yes the Isa Browns and Black sex links as well as some of the others have very red combs and waddles.. but not huge in size. I was hoping someone would give me the ok to hope for eggs sooner then later.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    They could start laying any day but roosters may start mounting weeks before you get any eggs. Some hens will start squatting for mating weeks before they lay any eggs.

5. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I think it will be soon. My pullets combs/wattles continued to grow after start of lay, if fact most have been laying for the last month or so and are still noticably less developed than the older hens. If there has been a surge in development and color change, and the roos are taking notice of them, I'm sure you'll be seeing some eggs soon. It can be a little delayed this time of year, but my sex links don't seem to notice the shorter daylight hours. Hopefully yours feel the same.

Yeah eggs!! [​IMG]

6. kassy68

May 10, 2009
    Vassar , Michigan
    My Coop
    so you guys don't think its just a "Thats my women" territory thing and the Leghorn just got her by accident.. LOL.. Love my Isa Browns.. not the prettiest of breeds, but they sure are 100% calm and collected.

7. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:No, I haven't noticed they care much one way or the other until the girls start reaching maturity and are breedable. I've read posts where people have had roos that are really sweet with the chicks and 1/2 grown youngsters, but mine just ignore them until they get close to maturity. The sex links seem to, at least on average, mature faster. Given the age of yours and the wattle/comb thing it really sounds like they're getting close.

Now hopefully they don't decide to make a liar out of me and wait another month.....but I don't think they will. Be sure to update when you get that first egg!

8. kassy68

May 10, 2009
    Vassar , Michigan
    My Coop
    4 mths exactly in the pictures. Heres the one of the three Isa's,
    [​IMG]

Group shot, Don't mind Bertha hen in the background (bo), Theres a black sex link as well sporting some nice waddles. They heard Waddles were the in thing this Fall and they are all wanting some now. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  9. kassy68

May 10, 2009
    Vassar , Michigan
    My Coop
    UPDATE.. woo hoo.. added to first submission..

and pictures

10. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yeah pullet egg!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by