Rooster on the lam

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kcwazzu, Jul 19, 2011.

1. kcwazzu

kcwazzu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Auburn, WA
    A couple of days ago my 17w/o BA rooster escaped from the run as I was preparing to dispatch him. We chased him around the yard but were unable to catch him before he jumped over my fence and into the woods. The woods are heavily enmeshed with blackberries so it near impossible to go in after him. There are many raccoons in the area so we figured he was a goner.
    The next day my neighbor called to say he was in her back yard. We tried to catch him again but he once again went for the blackberry patch. Apparently he survived another night in the wild as my son heard him crow this morning.
    Since our keystone kops attempts at catching him aren't doing much good I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I could possibly lure him back into my yard or trap him.

Thanks,
    Keith

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Maybe put some feed out for him in the yard, let him get used to coming to eat. Watch where he roosts at night, and try to catch him after dark. If you keep chasing him every time he sees you, you'll never get close to him.

3. kcwazzu

kcwazzu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Auburn, WA
    Update.
    He appeared in my neighbor's yard again and my son was able to lure him in with strawberries and captured him. He has now been re-united with his ladies. Hopefully his behaviour has changed so that we can keep him around.

Keith

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by