1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster only after 1 of 12 pullets?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by QChickieMama, Oct 5, 2016.

1. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    I have a coop of 14 young chickens, 2 of them are roosters. The pullets have been laying for about a month. The dominant rooster has taken a liking to primarily one brightly colored pullet, and he chases her everywhere. She has no peace. She's taken to hiding beneath the nest box.

Is this common? Is there anything I can do to help this battered girl blend in? The other rooster seems to be doing his normal job.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Roosters sometimes start to favor a low ranking hen because she's easy. Sometimes she gets benefits from the arrangement, but most times she just gets harassed too much. You have one too many roosters, especially when roosters are young and mate more often. I would remove one either temporarily, and rotate them, or permanently. It's a miserable life being constantly mated and never having any peace.

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    I agree with the above,also how much space do you have?

4. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    It's a 10x10 dog run, converted to coop.

5. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Your space meets the expectation by just a bit the more space the less fighting

6. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    I've been decking out their coop this week since the pullets have begun to lay. Added 3 roosting bars, a dust bath bin, a hanging feeder, and a ton of bedding. Today I put a bunch of garden scraps in there. SO hoping all this will give them something to do all day instead of chase the ragged hen.

7. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Good should help although you might need to get rid one of the roosters

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What exactly do you need that rooster for?

If he doesn't have a purpose, especially if he was just an Oops bird, get rid of him. You're already pretty tight on space, and she simply does not have anywhere to run to get away from him.

Honestly, unless you're needing a rooster for a reason, I'd get rid of them both. Your hens could use the extra space, and they're just freeloaders at this point.

I once had what I call a Psycho Stalker rooster. I free ranged, there were a good 2 dozen hens he could have his pick of, but he was completely, utterly obsessed with two buff Orpingtons. They would hide under the porch and he would stand on the porch, waiting for them to come out. When they did venture out he'd jump them and it was literally screaming and fighting and forcible, repeated mating. of both hens. I tried confining him, I tried confining them, but after a while I wanted to free range everyone and he was obsessively persistent. Looking back if he had been a valuable animal and I really wanted to keep him I could have staked him out, that would have protected the hens. But, he was just a barnyard mutt and I had other roosters who were total gentlemen, so I ate him.

2 people like this.
  9. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Your rooster is still a cockerel with all that means. He has yet to establish his self as the DOMINANT chicken in your flock. Until he accomplishes that he will not have breeding rights to the rest of your pullets.

Pull both roosters out now and if you desire eggs to hatch reintroduce the dominant bird about February when the natural and normal chicken breeding season begins. Then wait 7 days for fertile eggs to appear.

Buy then your pullets should be laying big girl eggs and your hatching rate should be up around 95% That is if you and your rooster are both holding up your end of the bargain.

10. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I agree - cockerels are a real pain at that age. Better to give your girls some peace from the little punks until they calm down a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by