Rooster only standing on one leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wilcoxm46, May 22, 2019.

1. Wilcoxm46

Wilcoxm46 Hatching

May 22, 2019
    My favorite rooster will only stand on one leg. I thought it was mites but the top of his legs are raw. I could really use some ideas. Thanks so much
    Maureen

Attached Files:

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi Maureen, Welcome To BYC :frow
    If you have vet care, that would be best, but sometimes that's just no an option.
    Can you post some photos of the whole rooster so we can see him?
    How old is your rooster and what breed?
    I see a sore on his leg, do you have any idea how that happened? Do you have other roosters that he may have gotten into a fight with?
    When you put the BluKote on did it look like a scab or growth?
    Any bad odors coming from that sore?

I would soak in warm epsom salts, dry well, then apply a triple antibiotic ointment to the sore and raw areas.

Sequel and Kathy Golla like this.
  3. Wilcoxm46

Wilcoxm46 Hatching

May 22, 2019

4. Wilcoxm46

Wilcoxm46 Hatching

May 22, 2019
    He is the only rooster so I don’t think he has been in a fight. I have soaked him Epson salts for the last 3 days. It still looks the same. (I only put him in the plastic tub to take the picture.)I have had him isolated in a dog crate for the last 4 days. I have 17 hens and none of them have any signs of the same thing. Any ideas would be great

Attached Files:

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Well, he's a cute fella!
    This sore on the leg - what else have you put on that? I'm not sure what that could be, I would take a guess and say either a wound or cancer, but it's hard to know unless you have vet care.

upload_2019-5-23_19-16-41.png

Sequel likes this.
  6. Wilcoxm46

Wilcoxm46 Hatching

May 22, 2019
    I put blue kote on the first day because i thought it was a wound, after that I have been soaking him in epson salt and applying anti bacterial ointment. The only poultry vets are several hours away. He is the sweetest rooster and I hate to loose him. Thanks for responding. Maureen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: