Rooster opening and closing his mouth, losing his appetite

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mashwoman, Dec 22, 2014.

1. mashwoman

mashwoman New Egg

Mar 6, 2013
    Hello, my silkie Rooster, almost 3 years old, started acting weak on Saturday. He is opening and closing his mouth, and as of yesterday afternoon started to lose his appetite. We checked in his throat, and did not see gapeworms, his throat looked just fine. We used a syringe this morning and gave him a little bit of yogurt. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? There is no vet in my area that sees chickens.

Thanks!

Becky

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know. You could try Baytril or Tylan antibiotics.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You wont see gapeworm by looking down his throat. It sounds like he might have impacted crop, probably impacted gizzard.

4. mashwoman

mashwoman New Egg

Mar 6, 2013
    He seems more alert today. I added chicken vitamins to yogurt and lightly cooked egg, put it in the food processor then used a syringe to get it in his mouth. He wasn't opening and closing his mouth today, although he shakes his head now and again. Still weak, and not eating on his own though. His crop was big on Sunday morning after he ate, but I can't feel it now. How can I tell if his crop or gizzard is impacted? thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by