Rooster Opening & Shutting Mouth - Breathing Problems or Food Caught?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mkeawsh, Jul 22, 2013.

1. mkeawsh

mkeawsh Woody Hollow

Sep 23, 2007
    Beaufort, MO
    For the past couple days, one of my older roosters is continuously opening and shutting his mouth like he gasping for breath or maybe food is caught. Any suggestions on what is the problem and/or what I should do for him?

2. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    He sounds hot. What have the temperatures been around your town? Whenever he does that, just mist him with some cool water, or feed him cold watermelon.Or something else cold. That will probably stop the behavior you're seeing. I know that when the temperatures get above 85 my flock does this.

1 person likes this.
  3. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    If its not heat (panting to keep cool) look up "gape worms"

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    As mentioned, the heat can cause what you're seeing. He could simply be adjusting his crop or could possibly have something stuck in his throat or crop. If there's something stuck, give him an eyedropperful of olive oil. Then gently massage his neck down to just below his crop. He'll either puke or pass whatever is stuck. Gapeworms are rare in chickens.

5. mkeawsh

mkeawsh Woody Hollow

Sep 23, 2007
    Beaufort, MO
    Thanks. It has been hot - heat indexes over 100. But that is not uncommon for here. He is eating and drinking and has stopped doing it. I guess I got a little concerned because my oldest RR bantam hen was doing the same thing a couple months ago and even though she was eating and drinking, she went down hill within a couple weeks and died.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by