ROOSTER OR A HEN..I may have a problem

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by [email protected], Jul 13, 2010.

1. danielviger72@yahoo.com

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Hollis Center, Maine
    four weeks ago.. i purchased three americaunas from a local farm supply store. To go along with my other five chicks I bought from mypetchicken.com. Now like any new chicken owner I have been watching them VERY CAREFULLY. One of the americaunas.. is very aggressive and thick legged with a bump or nipple looking thing ofn the back of both legs. The RIR rooster and him are staring it down lately.. almost bowing to each other ... If this is a rooster....it's not something I would like to tangle with. I made sure I asked the women at the store that these are actually all hens.. she said yes...help... what can I do..or is it too early really to tell anything..

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    The girls will do the pecking order rituals too. And I have some hens with spurs. So it might be too soon to worry too much. If you see the comb turning red sooner than the rest, thats a sign.
    You could post a picture of the bird and the comb on here to see what people think. By 4 weeks, i think alot of BYCers might know if its a boy or girl for you.

ETA: after clicking on your MM website, i think you already knew the answer to this post [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  3. danielviger72@yahoo.com

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Hollis Center, Maine
    Thanks lurky....upon further inspection.. that SHE!! definitely didn't like!! I have found out that.. she is indeed a HEN.. she just had some skin anomili's.. and just average run of the mill bumps... I compared her to my RIR ROOSTER.. who is actually more docile and loves to be handled...and no if's and or butt's about it.. serious differences! Thak you for such a quick reply though!

Dan Viger
    Hollis Center Maine

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I was actually referring to what was most likely a rooster on your page........boy name and all. I thought that was the one you were worried about.
    Glad you found this one to be a girl [​IMG]

5. goochgirl

goochgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by