Rooster or chicken?

Cape Cod Chick

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 11, 2009
Cape Cod
Can anyone tell me if my Tinkerbell is really a Mr. T? We can't keep roosters, but this is my granddaughter's chicken, so I'm terribly anxious about it because I don't want to break her heart.

Tink is incredibly friendly, but bigger, more assertive and more developed than the others. Plus there's all that floppy head gear!

She's the one on the far right.

31023_0906280017.jpg

Here's a closer shot from a few weeks ago.

31023_0906170017.jpg

I know this is a common question/worry for newbies, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

If they are not fully grown, you might just be in luck. Usually females grow faster then males, so during the growing months of their life one that is larger then the rest is usually a good sign it's a female.

Mind you, I couldn't tell without a better pic and without knowing the age. The comb of that chicken is a bit big, but not as big that I would call it a rooster for sure or not

Then again, assuming the black one to the left is the same age, you might be in a bit of trouble. However, their still might be hope: I have 2 female sex links of the same age, and one definately is growing in her comb and wattle faster then the other.

Thanks for the help and the hope! My granddaughter isn't the only one who loves this chick so much. When they were still living in my basement (uh, that would be until about two weeks ago), I used to go down every night before bed to say goodnight.

Tinkerbell would come right over to the door as soon as I opened it and I would cup my hands around her and stroke her feathers with my thumbs until she fell asleep in my hands. So endearing to have an animal trust you that much.

They are all the exact same age, almost exactly 2 months. I'll try to take a better photo tomorrow.

2 months, you say? I might have some good news. Here's a picture of my 2 month old Golden Sex Link Pullet

36095_img_4837.jpg

Yours doesn't seem to have much more comb then mine does, and I am sure that mine is a female. Which means, yours probably is too
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom