rooster or chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by new breeder, Dec 11, 2013.

1. new breeder

new breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Greece
    i dont know how t learn if my chicks are rooster or chickens....
    dint anyone know a way? they are 3 days old...

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Do you know what breeds they are? There are a very few breeds you can tell at that age, but that is pretty rare. I’m thinking of purebred barred chicks. The males will have a larger spot on its head than the females.

There is a method called vent sexing where trained people can look inside the chick’s vent and tell. But that takes training and even then they are wrong sometimes. They don’t even try to sex bantams with this method. Too small. I wouldn’t even know where to begin.

There is a DNA testing that can tell here in the States. I don’t know what facilities you might have in Greece. If my memory is working right, the cost here is about $10.00 per chick.

That’s about it for regular chickens. Sorry.

3. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Rooster and cockerel .... Or .... Hen and pullet

Roosters are chickens

1 person likes this.
  4. new breeder

Nov 17, 2013
    Greece
    this is not what i ask my friend .... well if i want t tell the name i Greek you dont understand .. Κόκορας κότα πουλάδα κλώσα κοτοπουλάκι etc so i use another language that is not my birth language, so sorry for my wrong words

its my first try and i really dontknow what kind of brreeds i have... you cansee in my profile picture (someone say that id the chick has big wings its a hen but if it has smaler is a rooster :)

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What they are talking about with the wings is what we call feather-sexing. That only works if the parents are set up a specific way genetically. The mother has to have the slow-feathering gene and the father has to have the fast-feathering gene. The very first post in this thread explains how that works, as well as how to make a red sex link or a black sex link. If the parents are not set up properly genetically, none of these work.

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

The first post in this thread talks about some signs you can start looking for around 4 to 6 weeks of age, but a lot of times these signs are not sure. At this age if I think a chick is a male it normally is, but if I think it might be a female, it might or might not be. I’ve had some I had to wait until over three month s to be sure. Some just develop very late.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/48329/secondary-sex-characteristics

In both of these threads the first post is most important.

6. new breeder

Nov 17, 2013
    Greece
    ooooh thank you so much iam going t read it and learn a lot of stuff for sure :D [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by