Rooster or chicken?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by joshisamazing, Mar 19, 2015.

1. joshisamazing

joshisamazing Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2015
    Tulsa OK
    [​IMG]Hey everyone I'm curious and I'm wondering if this is common but I have 3 chicks. 2 pullets one brown one black. And one straight run! There all about a week and a half old and the the yellow straight run her/his comb is a lot bigger and a little red ALREADY! There only 1 and a half weeks old?? I'm almost positive that it's a rooster. but idk I hear not to just go by that? I wanna know what you guys think? and if you had something smellier to this happen to you??

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  2. joshisamazing

Mar 14, 2015
    Tulsa OK
    As you can see in the picture the yellow one (Wallace) has a pretty big comb compared to the brown pullet next to him. which is a lot smaller? I'm still not completely sure if it's a rooster I just wanna know from some of you guys and see what you think. I live in the city so if it is a rooster I'll prob keep him and get a rooster collar for him! c: that way he doesn't have to become soup or fried chicken!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

First of all, you have a little male in front there, a cockerel for sure. Secondly, in reference to your title, a rooster is a chicken, just a male chicken.

Rooster is the male, hen is the female but they're both chickens.

Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

5. joshisamazing

Mar 14, 2015
    Tulsa OK
    OHHH haha I never knew that till now?? Thanks for the information. I appreciate it a lot! I'll deff keep a eye out for him and stuff and treat him well. c:

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The straight run is almost certainly a cockerel.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by