Rooster? or Dominant hen behavior?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fairfeatherfriend, Sep 25, 2012.

1. fairfeatherfriend

fairfeatherfriend Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2009
    Bothell, WA
    I have a Barred Plymouth Rock - about 20 weeks old - who has been trying to mount several of the other hens frequently for the last 3 weeks or so. But s/he has never crowed and doesn't look a lot different from the other hens except for being a bit larger/ taller. S/he also has a sort of silvery feathers around the eyes, but nothing else really noticeable yet. When will Iknow if s/he is a rooster, or just a dominant hen?

2. JHorn91180

JHorn91180 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    Post a pic and I can tell u the sex. If it had sharp hackle feathers on long pointy shiny saddle feathers then it is def a roo and should b showing those at that age. Not typical behavior for a hen at all tho.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Yep, we need pics! :)

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    At 20 weeks, it should be obvious to an experienced eye. Post a picture and you'll have your answer.

5. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    You should be seeing pointed feathers if its a cockeral. Barred cockerals are usually lighter on color, more white than black.
    [​IMG]

6. fairfeatherfriend

Jun 23, 2009
    Bothell, WA
    Sorry, everyone. I've been trying for over an hour to upload photos from my Windows phone. Don't know why it's not workimg. Guess I'll just have to wait it out... (Unless someone has a cras course on "uploading for dummies!".
    Nighty-night... or Cockadoodle-Doo!! (Depending on your time zone) Thanks for all your efforts to help.

7. fairfeatherfriend

Jun 23, 2009
    Bothell, WA
    [​IMG]

Hey guys! I got a photo to upload! Anyway, here is "Emu" the roo or mixed-up hen. Any ideas?? Eager to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

8. JHorn91180

JHorn91180 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    He is defianately a Rooster. The long slim sickle, glossy, sharp saddle and hackle feathers in his back and neck r a def give away. He is a pretty roo tho.

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Yep, that's a cockerel.

10. fairfeatherfriend

Jun 23, 2009
    Bothell, WA
    Thanks for the input. Nuts... I'll probably have to give him away once he starts crowing. Hope I can find someplace where he won't end up on a dinner table.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by