Rooster or Hen? 4-5wk Easter Egger

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by batzoned, Jun 30, 2016.

1. batzoned

batzoned New Egg

Jun 30, 2016
    Hey gang,

I have a 4-5 week old Easter Egger that I suspect of being a rooster. This is my first flock and all my other birds are different breeds so I have no accurate comparison. I named the EE Chicken Hawk because it has been more aggressive and larger than the others since I got her. She also started making sounds that I haven't heard from the other birds.

My neighborhood is fairly residential so I would not be able to keep a rooster. I would like to figure this out so that I don't have a crowing chicken ticking people off.

Most of the time she holds her tail feathers parallel with her back... when I brought her out of the brooder to take these pics she had her tail feathers up high as you see in the pic.

Is it too early to try and determine the sex? I have larger sized photos here: http://imgur.com/a/oHVXU

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chickatist

Chickatist Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2013
    Fair Oaks, CA
    I'm no expert, but I have an EE that looks very much like this one and she is a hen.

3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I would say that was a hen.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I suspect it is a cockerel as well. Another 2-3 weeks and you should know for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by