1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster or Hen Australorp?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NewUrbanGarden, Jul 3, 2016.

1. NewUrbanGarden

NewUrbanGarden New Egg

Feb 20, 2016
    I bought some chicks from a local feed shop, who said they were all hens. I have been hearing some loud noises coming from the coop and am afraid that I may have a rooster Australorp on my hands. They are about 20 weeks old. What is the verdict?

[​IMG]

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    That's the one crowing....The real tattle tale signs are the feather off the neck & back of the tail (hackle & streamers, not sure which is which, can never keep it straight). See how the neck feathering is thin compared to a hens, the flowing feathering on the back by the tail...Cockerel. More experienced BYC members will peep in, lets see what they say.

3. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Very clearly a rooster! A pretty one too!

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Ok, I looked it up and need to correct my "statement"....Hackle is the pointy feathering on the neck of a Cockerel. The Saddle feathering is the 'streaming' feathering off the back tail area. Look it up in the search box, it's been bothering me so hopefully I can remember this :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by